AE86 - Sprinter Trueno : The portuguese connection

pack

Nov 14, 2012
Portugal
It was time to share my project with one of the biggest communities on the planet.

Hello everyone, i'm Luis aka pack on the web. I'm based in Portugal where the AE86 is still a hot hatch and very well known by car enthusiasts.
The value of the car kept increasing since 2004 and now they are rare to find altough Portugal was the country were Toyota sold most of the Eruopean AE86's.

My project started in 2011 on January, i found my 86 slowly diying in a car park hidden from the main roads, in a city where most of the people don't know nothing about japanese car culture.... It was another Toyota per say...

As soon as i could i bought it. Car was great, needed some fine tunes but overhall it was a great base to work with.

Owning an 86 will push you to the mechanics and the DIY areas where you have to read and work alot with your car just to get it working properly..... And i did it! I've made connections around the world to get knowledge from everywhere and in the process get a decent 86.

The story of the car kept going until the 1st of January of 2012 when i caught oil/ice on the road and crashed my 86. The Levin front was severly damaged and the chassies suffered also with the impact. Decided to rebuild my car again.
The European market is mostly filled with Levins, and still the headlights are the most valuable pieces and extremely rare to find, by that i decided to convert it to a Trueno using the Black Limited as an example.

The work was made in a bodyshop owned by two old guys and the car started his transformation.
After 6 months the Trueno was ready to roll... but now i was engaged on owning the best (one of the best 86 in Portugal).

After some months i decided to change the looks a bit more.... BOught some redlines bought a digital cluster and some more JDM parts that i thought that could fit my project.....

On the 16V changed to ITB's (silvertop) with a megaquirt and some more parts.... Keeping the engine internals stock....
Looked and sounded great but i wanted stability..... So i bought a 20V and decided to swap my car!

Best idea ever!

Ill show some pictures on the next post.

Thank you :)
Regards

pack

Nov 14, 2012
Portugal
Like i said.... some pictures....

The day i bought it.....

Rust...

Overhall it was a nice example...

First issue....
Broken diff that needed replacement

My crash.....

After some months...

Digidash working...

The first engine adventure.... 16V stock in ITBs

Some track action

With that i was not conviced that was my best decision... so i've decided my next step. A 20V BT.

That is my story...!

Attachments