ATM Thiefs

Richard

Dec 9, 2007
Central Coast
Hey guys just wana give you a heads up to cover your pin numbers when you use an ATM. Over the weekend i was cleaned up with someone scanning my card at an ATM and then managed to get my pin with a overhead camera. they made a fake card with a fake signature and took thousands from my account over the teller. Luckly i filed a dispute and managed to get it back just today.

Julz01

Oct 4, 2006
Melbourne
wow wtf sorry to hear richard lucky you got your cash back, so was it your credit card or debit card they took the money out of?

tangy

Sep 28, 2006
Sydney
woah - do you know what area the atm was that scanned your card?

sorry to hear man , im sure they'll sort it out for you

BastiaanOlij

Jan 9, 2008
Sydney
www.basenlily.nl
Yeah long live Ozzie banks, in Europa they are all upgrading the system so now the crooks come down here where we pay more bank fees for less protection..

I really hope this will never happen to me.

That said, I'm also surprised how little people here seem to be interested in security in the first place. In Holland credit cards never became popular because all it took is a signature to use it and people never trusted that. PIN on the other hand has been around for ages and now with skimming not using a magnetic strip but using a chip is all the rage.

Same with internet banking. My bank here in Ozzie issues a user name and I set a password and its all standard SSL from there on, every time I deal with them and I'm not careful I get another logon for my account. Bloody insecure. All someone needs is to install a trojan on my PC and oops but nobody seems to figure that one out.

In Holland you wouldn't even be allowed to offer that when you are a bank, everything is done with temporary keywords or with keylocks or other physical devices not tied into the PC. My wife's account works on sending a text message with a one off password to do transactions that is valid for a couple of minutes and only once, if someone somehow does manage to intercept that and use it right away and be logged onto the bank account while that is not allowed if my wife is already logged on.....
My bank account is protected with a key generator that requires the chip on my ATM card to operate and I need to type in a cypher into the generator that works only for the exact transaction I'm making, change the amount by even a cent or the account number by a digit and the key is invalid.
Doesn't get more secure then that :D

Wish Ozzie banks would catch up on modern times, they make more money then all the other banks in the world which is the drum they beat in this financial crisis, time they use that money to fight some crime.

Sorry for the rant, the subject pisses me off a little.

Richard

Dec 9, 2007
Central Coast
i hear ya man thats y i dont use interney banking or over the phone and i still got hammered having said that my sister went to london for a holiday just recently and her credit card got skimmed and someone bought over $1500 worth of jewelery with it.