Heated Windscreens for your AE86 - Group Buy EOI

Sam

Jun 23, 2006
Brisbane
Hi All,

At WTAC this year we got talking to Derek from Motorsport Windscreens. He was checking if they could get AE86 ones and it turns out they can. They've given an estimated price of $680 per screen inc shipping and shipping insurance to Qld, Nsw and VIC. I think if we get enough people we can get these prices down for you. I have added all the Screens specs and details below for everyone to see. Please let me know on here if you are serious and i will see what i can do about a better price. Keep in mind the initial price and that it won't drop a massive amount.

As per rules -

Sam Holz
samholz@hotmail.com

These are perfect for track cars that have had the heating/AC systems removed to stop fogging. They are top quality windscreens as the Bates guys use them on alot of their cars inc their ra40 rally beast.

Please see the specs below, please excuse the scattering of details, he's very excitable. I've tried to clean it up a bit but see below.

Product Description: Corolla Sprinter AE 86 Lift Back ( 7/1983 - 1986 )

All screens will be supplied in green tinted glass, with a distinctive sun band at the top in Blue. Optional Plain / Clear Glass ( For restorations where original appearance is required ) with or without Blue sun band is also available with prior notice. Only in orders with a minimum of Two ( 2 ). This may incur a slight increase of approx $15 – 18 but to promote sales, Motorsport Windscreens may absorb this charge. These will need to be specially ordered. Most drivers like to put their own sponsors name over the sun band area blacking out this section anyway. Although just plain un-tinted glass is available, it may create delays in manufacturing times also.

Screens have hundreds of Micro-Fine Tungsten Wires in the PVB layer being virtually invisible to the eye! Running either horizontally or vertically in the screen, the exact number depending on model. Although you can just see these, visibility is considered normal, as these are fitted to many current OEM late model vehicles. Being Internationally E marked ( EC1 43R ) so legal for all Australian states ( Not that that matters for racing, however would be suitable for registered cars competing Tarmac Racing type events where many vehicles registration may be mandated ) In the case of Rally cars and Tarmac Rally events, I have checked with CAMS and the product meets all requirements.

Having engaged a respected O/seas company, internationally renowned for quality product and also trading for many years to manufacture these for me. They are contracted to a number of OEM too, plus many other minor manufactures vehicles for their bespoke heated screen supply.

Further I requested a number of things from the technical guru within the company to clarify data of the screens i.e.

What actual size are the Micro-Fine Tungsten Wires in the PVB layer sandwiched between the two layers of glass?
( 17 - 22 microns I’m told )

Do they go right across the screens to the edges?
This varies and in some cases the element appears to be quite a distance from the lower sides due to A pillar design, as it is apparently not cost effective and also difficult to make a tapered element. When in use the heat soon covers this area rapidly, as it tries to dissipate. Just like a saucepan on the stove where the handle heats up quickly from constant heat.

Heat up / defrost time in seconds or minutes in adverse conditions?
Around 2 ½ minutes for full vision if covered in heavy frost / thin ice.

Amps required while in use?
Approx 8 - 12 amps and varying from size to size ( On a vehicle size of say Lotus Elise / Exige size ) - 13 - 15 amps on an Evo 10.

The only thing which may be slightly vague is the wiring installation set up as ALL screens will differ a little. In the case of the VE / BF where it would be recommended to run say two relay’s with a 20 amp in each side. The screen may draw a larger current to start while heating up. After which the current is reduced significantly when at operating temperature ….

Is a Relay / Timer required etc ?
In current road going OEM cars, these screens are obviously controlled by the factory ECU.
No but it is recommended to run through a relay, but the minimum would be a 20 amp fuse and an LED in front of the driver at least.

Correct installation instructions need to be followed. This of course will insure longevity of the heating elements avoiding premature failure. This is not so much the wiring in question, but the total sealing of the outside edge to stop water seeping in between the two layers, causing failure of the element voiding warrantee.

Tech spec’s
Data of element positioning etc, and the general specs can be found in the attachment below. Black lines indicate the main wire layout / design, which are placed up either side of the screen. Placement of the heating element connectors may vary depending on model but normally located in lower corners with two connecters each side ( as there are two separate elements, one each side ) In some models connectors are placed in the centre of each side, positioned approx half way up each windscreen A pillar. This is due to some screens having one separate heating element where is runs horizontally

Conditions of Purchase
Please note : These condition apply to under normal circumstances if ordered and not currently held in stock at time of order.

If after placing a purchase order with Motorsport Heated Windscreens I am unable to honor supply of the screens within a the time frame quoted, due to any issues out of my control i.e. strikes or customs hold ups etc, and this genuinely creates a problem for you. I am happy to return your deposit or payment in full, but with respect if just a change of mind on your behalf happens, your deposit is non re-fundable. Sorry

However I must stress that " I'm given a manufacturing times and can only give my word on someone else’s.
Once your preferred method of payment for the screen has been made ( I’d prefer an EFT if poss ) Kindly advise when a deposit has been made by email, and which payment method has been used, including your reference Number.

For any new design manufactured lead time approx 6 - 9 weeks depending on order size - Plus shipping. ( Approx 30 - 40 days plus clearance etc )

Warranty :
At this stage I am able to provide a 180 day warranty on the heating elements. This being subject to following the correct installation instructions supplied with any screen purchase. These need to be followed to avoid disappointments or premature failure. I shall also have back up screens held in-case replacements are required on all models sold.

Extended Warranty : Under certain circumstances MHW can provide warranty if the screen is to be used in vehicle at a later date. ( i.e under construction etc etc ) Warranty will be post dated in this case. Kindly advise if this is required ....

Supply Quote :
Available in Plain/Clear - Clear with Blue sun band - Green tint with Blue sun band

Product :
Corolla Sprinter AE 86 Lift Back ( 7/1983 - 1986 )

As previously described - Full heating element front laminated windscreen, supplied in full Green tinted glass with a distinctive Blue sun band at the top being full width. ( Unless specially ordered ) This windscreen will not be supplied with Rain Sensor …. Only the ceramic centre sun visor on Green tinted Glass with Blue sun band

Continued next Post

Sam

Jun 23, 2006
Brisbane
Continued......

Public liability insurance

Product liability insurance is covered through QBE, coverage being up to 5 million

Costings :
Retail : $645
Supply of one ( 1 ) is for a single screen would normally be $585 inc GST as our dollar is strong. This will be plus any internal freight if any.

This would be normal Motorsport Windscreens ( Race industry cost ) retail cost if they are carried in stock on date of inquiry. Any fluctuation due to exchange rates would be absorbed until May 2012 when a review will be carried out of existing stock, including stock currently in transit.

Race Industry Supply Cost
N/A

Multiple screen purchase only ?
/ Race Industry
Under normal circumstances and being involved in a multi purchase combining in one order of two ( 2 ) as a minimum, cost would be $565 ea. I can supply One ( 1 ) screen at $585+ Freight to VIC at $95 as stated.

Sorry this is the absolute best I can do to help this time …. I hope this is of some help.

Delivery :
TBA

Australian deliveries are dispatched through Couriers Please or Saddliers transport if in SA or WA will be an additional $95 & $125 fully insured. NSW - ACT- VIC & QLD approx $75 ( ACT ) - $95 ( VIC / QLD )
However Freight to Tassie is usually $145 to Tassie.

Alternatively I can pack, and you have a courier collect on your behalf.

Insurance is covered with the package when in transit but should the screen be broken a clear picture MUST be taken before removal of the screen. Screens are packed in expanding foam protecting from damage ….
When sent individually screens are packed in a manner to avoid false claims cannot be made J

Payment
If a new model required is not held in stock or specially order payment is required in full for each screen and required up front. This is simply a company condition not anything associated with any distrust. This also applies to any new model as I have to ensure tooling costs are not simply wasted should you change your mind.
If a screen is required and already on order, a deposit of $200 each screen is required to avoid disappointments as some screen orders are sold prior to arriving to Australia.
Should a purchase be chosen kindly advise your preferred method of payment, as I can accept EFT, Bank Cheque, alt but not preferred PayPal.
Further down the track, should you choose to go a multi order again, I may well be in a position to offer more suitable discounts. However this will depend on the stability of our dollar against the US dollar at time of purchase, but to be honest I can’t see things getting much better in the short term.

Banking Details

Acc Name :
Motorsport Windscreens
Bank : St George
BSB : 112-879
Acc : 437978888

Supply times

Manufacturing times ( For new models ordered or back orders ) are quoted as 6 – 9 weeks x -factory .... This may vary slightly due to work loads but I'm assured normal would be 6 weeks to manufacture upon placement of order. Sea freight is approx 30 - 40 days
Please don’t forget I can arrange “ Tear Offs “ through Quick Peel in NSW at approx. $160 fitted or through Windscreens ASAP in VIC …. Matt does them for the V8 Taxis and only carries the 3 or 4 layer but are quite expensive.

When fitting up please note :

A couple of further things ….
Please ensure that ALL edges of the glass are completely covered with windscreen sealer. I would use a coat or two of nail varnish to totally seal the edges. This will stop the chances of any water seepage between the two layers of glass and subsequently fusing of the element/s.
If you feel confident that the installer will be certain to cover ALL edges completely fine, but be aware warranty does not cover failure with water contamination. It only takes 10 minutes or so to complete.

To ensure a professional installation I would use at least a 30 amp fuse through a relay. Also I would use an LED on the dash somewhere,
Current draw when cold is approx 14 -22 amps ea side. This is only a guide as I am receiving feedback weekly.
When warmed up the draw will be approximately 8 – 15 amps. Currently working on reduction of current draw as most of the time our screens only fog up and don’t actually freeze up like the northern hemisphere.

Normally the screens have twin element. This means two wires in each lower corner. Each side is a separate heating element. There are two earths and two power …. So if you took one from each of the two pairs of wires in each corner and connected them this will power both sides.
i.e. say the extreme left hand wire and the extreme right had side wire could be used as power. The two inner wires as you would look at the screen become earth. It will not matter if you used the two inner wires for power and the outer two for earth. What ever you find easier.

***** Please ask who ever fits the screen to be VERY careful when & if installing into a windscreen rubber, ( If fitted in one ) especially in the area of the wires as they are soldered onto the element and obviously fragile if the uttermost care isn’t taken. Make sure their direction isn’t changed.
Wires are around 12’’ or 32 cm long. This should be long enough to go in-between the crash pad and screen surround etc.

trevors13

Dec 1, 2010
Rouse Hill
May sound like a dumb question but are ADM and JDM windscreens the same size. Iv heard there not.
Would this be a problem with these windscreens? Or are there 2 sizes if there is a difference

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
I'll confirm that the ADM screen is shorter,by about 2 inches. Different plastic base stays and different plenum covers are required to use one type or the other.

Justin...

Sam

Jun 23, 2006
Brisbane
Hey Guys,

Can you add your location as well? I've added to below anyway :)

1. Garth - Plain/Clear (no blue band) - Sydney, NSW
2. DELAZY - Plain/Clear (no blue band) - Hobart, Tas
3. Andy - Plain/Clear (no blue band) - Adelaide, SA
4. Party Pete - Blue Band Mebe? - Newcastle, NSW

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE LIST WITH YOUR DETAILS IF YOU WANT ONE :)

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
really - 2 inches - that seems like a lot!
It might even be more than that,I don't have the bits on hand to give an exact comparison anymore. The JDM screen is much deeper,going right down almost to the the base of the two plastic screw-in seats that the ADM screen sits on on the plenum - which are about 3" long.
I found this out the hard way after buying a very pretty carbon plenum cover out of Japan - then finding that it didn't come even remotely close to covering my screen once it arrived...

Justin...

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
1. Garth - Plain/Clear (no blue band) - Sydney, NSW
2. DELAZY - Plain/Clear (no blue band) - Hobart, Tas
3. Andy - Plain/Clear (no blue band) - Adelaide, SA
4. Party Pete - Blue Band Mebe? - Newcastle, NSW
5. Adam - plain/clear (no blue band) - Sydney, NSW

Delazy

Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
Lol, funny enough, exactly the people interested that myself and Pete expected while speaking to old mate at WTA...imagine a few peeps might like to get in direct contact with the IPRA guys...

HR Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2006
Sydney, Australia
^ 1000 posts! hoo rah!

And yeah, Chris (Takai) might be keen? Im not sure if Chris O Shanessey or Justin McClintock already have something. I'll let em know!

Sam

Jun 23, 2006
Brisbane
Its all good. Anyway.

Anymore than just the 5 on the list above? I'll contact old mate to see what i can sort out if everyone is now all good?