I cant see this working!

Richard

Dec 9, 2007
Central Coast
http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/news/7956721/national-road-safety-council-p-platers-should-not-drive-old-cars

The National Road Safety Council believes young motorists should be driving their parents' cars rather than the low-priced "old bomb" first cars that so many P-platers find themselves behind the wheel of.

Speaking at the Australasian Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference, National Road Safety Council Chairman Roger Cook said that the youth road toll could be dramatically cut if parents handed over their own cars - particularly for night driving.

Mr Cook said that research had shown more than 400 lives could be saved each year if Australians bought the safest car in its class, while around 8000 injuries would be prevented.

"The average age of the Australian car fleet is 10 years. The risk of death or serious injury in a crash in a vehicle made in 1987 is about double that of a vehicle made in 2007," Mr Cook said.

"We need to get drivers, young drivers in particular, into safer cars."Mr Cook said that the features we take for granted in new cars, such as ABS and newer technologies packaged with ESP systems, are absent from many cars driven by P-platers.

Mr Cook added that if Federal and State Government departments purchased only independently-tested 5-Star cars, the number of safe cars on the secondhand market would increase rapidly thanks to the fast turnover on most government fleets.

What's your say? Should P-Platers only drive newer safer cars?

Copied from the link

I really cant see parents going here let me pay for more expensive insurence so you can drive my brand new Mercedes. When will they relize i aint the car but the driving experience if anything and older car without abs would be better that way the can learn how to feel a raw car

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
fuck off. angry comment imminent...

right this roger cook cunt can fuck right off, him and harold scruby can go and butt fuck and dirty sanchez themselves to death for all i care.

what fucking planet is the this dumb cunt from? seriously, could not a more stupid idea spew forth from a self important job justifying cock wrangler.

first up, most of the time P-platers cant afford to buy a modern car with traction control/ABS/stabilty control etc.
most kids when they buy their first car or are given or had bought for them, is usually a family type car IE commo/falcoon or some sort of shopping trolley corolla/pulsar/civic/lancer etc etc.
at BEST they might have ABS. is this fucktard actually aware how much a car can cost to buy and also maintain?
even the most basic flogged VT commo is starts at 5k. even without mum or dad lending them the money, a P-plater is still struggling to pay for this car.

most of the traction control shit became more prevalent from 2005 onwards, most cars P-platers drive are between 95 and 05, and had no fucken special aids to help them drive.

also has he actually thought about what the cost to the parents will be insurance wise?
probably not.
lessee now, your average premium is around the 500-1000 mark depending on car and location. add in an under 25 driver and you can add another $500-2000 to the price when listing them as a driver.
dont wanna do that? well then better get ready to stump up the extra excess for junior who was driving your car and had just a car park ding!
typical under 25 un-nominated driver excess is an extra $500-2000 on top of the standard ex per claim. wouldnt want to be one of those people who increased the excess to get a cheaper premium!

now, i havnt even got to the bit that shits me right off.

the current generation of young drivers are the most retarded i have seen, and i blame the parents who are equally as fucken retarded.
parents teach kids, and kids pick up bad habits from parents.

giving them a car with all the electronic aids is carte blanche to telling them "its ok the car will right itself if you get into trouble".
im sorry did i fucking miss the memo about self correcting steering when you slide on water on the road or learn you how to take evasive action if you are put into a situation that requires it?

no it fucking wont. putting them in a car, with little to no driving knowledge or inkling how a car might behave and telling them because of all the air bags electric shit they will be fine.

fuck off.

90% wouldnt know how to correct the car when the back end steps out whether intentional or not.

yet another "it looks like im doing something, so it must be working" attitude.

now im fucken angry.

AJ

Mar 28, 2006
i was going to say something then i read adam's post and realised he had said everything i was going to say.

what a ridiculous approach to such a serious problem.

sotiros860

Apr 11, 2008
Wollongong
Adam, you couldnt have said it better, and whilst i agree about the magical car stopping an accident being stupid, its what many people believe to be a rational response.

The biggest problem is they are trying to adopt the philosophies of many European countries, where young kids pretty much always buy a new car as there first car, as these are the safest cars. However, in many European countries, they offer loans to young people at reasonable rates, and insurance with decent premiums. As someone under 25, i can say that insurance premiums are retarded. When i was looking at insuring my Trueno (agreed value of 11 grand) when i was 18, i was given several quotes around thee $9000 mark p.a. Now, how is an 18 year old going to be able to insure a $35000 falcodore in there own name? Until the banks and insurance companies change there values, this isnt going to happen.

All that is going to happen is instead of the p plater smacking into the other car, the other car is just gonna hit the p plater.

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
this sort of stuff really shits me off a lot.. and yesterday wasnt exactly a spectacular day.

i would relish job as PM, fuck id love to kick some heads down there...

jet111

Feb 25, 2009
Sydney Inner West
xero said:
i dont think they will actually realise that you can do stupid stuff any car, and you dont need to just young and stupid either...
I agree. You can do stupid stuff in any car. Its much more dangerous going 140km in a Excel than in a XR6 Turbo. However what this country lacks is real driver training. You don't even need to know how to brake properly to get you license here. Most people just slam on the anchors as hard as they can, now that is dangerous.

I was watching a episode of Top Gear and in the Netherlands they have to go on a skid pan 3 times before obtaining their drivers license... they get taught how to handle a car in emergency's and how to handle a car at its limits. A car is dangerous when it isn't handled with care or skill, powerful cars don't kill people.. Stupid drivers do. The dangerous thing is most of the people on our roads don't know how to handle their car properly.

I beleive a way to make better drivers out of people and lower road incidents is to educate them properly. Driver training will make better drivers out of people. NOT doing 3-point turns, reverse parks, reading road theory or even banning high powered cars. Yes there will always be idiots who so silly things in their car and have crashes but I can guarantee less accidents would occur if people understood the machines they were driving a little bit more than they do now.

Richard

Dec 9, 2007
Central Coast
^ yup +1! ive always thought that. Once i started loosing control and throwing the car around i learnt my limits and the cars.

Also it wouldnt hurt to fix this Pothole paradise they call australian roads

AJ

Mar 28, 2006
jet111 said:
I was watching a episode of Top Gear and in the Netherlands they have to go on a skid pan 3 times before obtaining their drivers license... they get taught how to handle a car in emergency's and how to handle a car at its limits.
i think you'll find that this was in Finland

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
mark mate you speak my language.

i know the episode you mean, granted the netherlands has to deal with icy roads and snow and shit, but the same logic most definately could be applied here.

australia is hot a dry continent 90% of the time. we go weeks, even months, without rain. the roads become dry and all the scum, dust, oil, fuel and whatever the fuck else builds up and needs the rain to wash it away.
what happens when the rain does hit, be it a little shower to massive down pour not all the scum gets washed away. in fact it takes a 3-4 days of rain to wash it all away.
so if we have 1 day of rain, the roads will be greasier than 3am kebab after night on the turps and more than likely to kill you just as quick as the garlic sauce.
97% of the driving public lose their shit when it rains and completely freak out at the meer sight of water on the roads.

why?

they dont know what to do if they get into to trouble.

ive said it before, im no road angel and have done skids when its wet (as mosst of us probably have at some point) through this and hitting the track, skid pans and track orientated things has given me the ability to not only deal with a situation, such as loss of traction, better than most and come out the other side relatively unscathed (bar maybe a new set of underwear).
thank fully i rarely am put in the position, and ive very glad i got lisa in to the habits she has and she certainly has picked up a hellva lot hitting the race track as well.

this is whats needed, this is what should be done, this is what we should be doing with young drivers.

but that costs money. people dont like paying for this stuff, why cant the govco pay for it?
it wont make them money have a bunch of people out there who can drive, when they could be fining them for 5km/h over in a school zone at 9:31am when they are all in school already.

i mean what would be next, everyone would want the bloody roads fixed... perish the thought.

Richard

Dec 9, 2007
Central Coast
Was that the episode they told James to go learn how to drive but don't go to finland to do it....so he did.

I listen to the radio in the morning and all i hear on the traffic report is "No accidents no breakdowns, smooth run blah blah"

But when it rains i love it as i never have to hear thoose annoying repeating words, so far EVERY rainy morning we have had all year there was 100% guarantee an accident and several at times. Sounds evil but don't that point out where australia fails in road 'safety'

lol i was having an arguement once to my wifes grandfather saying old people need to get off the road or redo their license, (you all know why)
He was saying that older people are more experienced, True they have more experience at driving on a road. So i argued that professional drifters and other car racers would probably the most experience especially in a sticky situation...you get my point.

Richard

Dec 9, 2007
Central Coast
yeh i first car grant would be a good idea but as Adam said, Government wants revenue and u wont get that giving out handouts

jet111

Feb 25, 2009
Sydney Inner West
EVAN said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TELMuD0-FDA
That video was well put, I agree with everything in that segment.

Especially the point about the way Australians drive, not merging properly, not moving out of the way on the freeway... Things that are common sense which we are too suborn to do. I think the theory like overtaking and merging as shown in that video are a fantastic idea. Good watch... even if the whole thing was a big plug for the Holden Commodore...