Running in the 90s, zenki love

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
So i sold my AE86 off, it got to a point where the car was ready for more power, which means ITBs and an epic NA build which is easy 10k dropped into an engine, it would of went hard for a little 1.6L, sounded boss, barely street legal in noise, emissions and looks and still a Honda would pretty much flog my ass at any track with an average driver, semi slicks and a K series swap.

i was pretty close to going Honda myself but the only Honda i would get is a Type R or a S2000, that is still an overly expensive daily and only more expensive to modify (s2000 anyways). Also Honda being all FF and NSX or S2000 are the only option for rear wheel powered honda that i cant afford, the driver inside me thought long and hard and said what the fuck am i doing? FF?, so needed another RWD and this is where im currently at

1995 S14.

Pictures to come.

ahstwinail

Dec 14, 2012
Adelaide
Sounds awesome mate. I'm a Honda man and I agree that they're mean when it comes to the type R, s2000 or NSX but their money band isn't even close to an ae86. FFs aren't too bad though on the track however, not nearly as fun as an FR.

Interestingly enough, why are you going for a silvia? Aside from being a good drift pig, did you think about an r32? They can be quite cheap for parts since wreckers would have plenty of their junk in stock.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
yeah i know first hand how fast a Honda can be as a FF, they are not slow when built with a purpose, have many friends now that are honda geeks and i respect the cars they have, im not talking about the ones that hard parks and talk about JDM wheels and fake wheels or how slammed a car should be too haha

I went for a Silvia because its a 2L with turbo as oppose to a skyline that would use more petrol and is heavier.

I always saw the Silvia as the Nissan 86 as they are really similar in personality, simple design that works, light in a way compared to other 90s sports car, and fuck loads of aftermarket support if i want to go crazy, and many examples to buy that are not rust buckets! well s14 and s15 anyways, S13 has ages badly and is rare to find an untouched example

I'll never run any Nissan parts in a AE86, it'll make it worse if anything *flame suit on*

i started my DIY air box and wasted 5hours after work today, turned out shit so going to call in sick tomorrow for work since its the last day for the year anyways and go for round 2 with the air box.

will need to chop and weld a muffler into this straight pipe as im sure there will be MANY police petrol this holiday season

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Good choice. I've done the same thing myself more than once,I've owned as many zenki S14's as I have AE86's - 4 of each...

They're dirt cheap now and although most are getting pretty beaten up the performance potential has no equal in the price range.
You probably have stuff in mind already,but I'd be happy to write out a suggested menu for mods if you want my opinion.

As for the why-u-no-buy R32 question,because they're too old and flaky. Everything inside them is either cracked,faded,or has been replaced already. And they go like crap compared to an S14. The Rb20det is the most over-rated engine ever,only people that can't afford something better like them. I've yet to see a GTS-T come within seconds of a silvia's times at wakefield park as well,so why would you buy something older,slower and more likely to be broken? Add in that S14's are locally delivered and you will also get cheaper insurance and more local support for parts. It's a no-brainer really.

Justin...

ahstwinail

Dec 14, 2012
Adelaide
Good choice. I've done the same thing myself more than once,I've owned as many zenki S14's as I have AE86's - 4 of each...

They're dirt cheap now and although most are getting pretty beaten up the performance potential has no equal in the price range.
You probably have stuff in mind already,but I'd be happy to write out a suggested menu for mods if you want my opinion.

As for the why-u-no-buy R32 question,because they're too old and flaky. Everything inside them is either cracked,faded,or has been replaced already. And they go like crap compared to an S14. The Rb20det is the most over-rated engine ever,only people that can't afford something better like them. I've yet to see a GTS-T come within seconds of a silvia's times at wakefield park as well,so why would you buy something older,slower and more likely to be broken? Add in that S14's are locally delivered and you will also get cheaper insurance and more local support for parts. It's a no-brainer really.

Justin...
I guess those who use skylines in hooning activities aren't helping with the insurance premiums. The s13 was never a big hitter as an option for you since their chassis is a horrible downgrade from the s14.

And good thing you got your flame suit on. SR20s are beauties turned to metal. All of you would have had a love affair with it at some stage during the disassembly process.

ahstwinail

Dec 14, 2012
Adelaide
In my opinion the s14 is natively easier to handle than it's older brother. Sure, if you throw money at your s13 suspension it will eventually go. I've just had lots of mates who complain about the s13 handling on the track. This is probably a matter which is very subjective in the sense that everyone will handle their car differently on the track and will have an opinion on its handling response.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Great conversation happening here, I don't mind it lol

Just to add, I had a s13 Silvia before with coilovers and now this s14 also has coilovers, both coilovers are cheap Taiwan branded stuff, all other suspension parts are still factory standard, and I can say the s14 has better handling off the bat, better front end grip and chassis response, it handles itself a lot better.
Sure the s13 could feel the same but it'll need more work to just feel like the s14 with less suspension mod, this is street talk, race car...well anything can handle well with no budget.

Pics will come over the weekend, car needs a wash etc etc lol

slpery86

Apr 15, 2009
Brisbane
well anything can handle well with no budget.
Truth, I'd agree the s14 was grippier, felt heaps snappier too, s13 has longer wheel base? I could flick the 180 left to right for as long as I wanted, and hold it out for ages, where I felt the 14 wanted to come back into line more.. could just be set up.. awaiting pics! But sad to see the cream go

ahstwinail

Dec 14, 2012
Adelaide
The 13 is the younger brother, are you meaning to say s15? In which case id agree, 14>15

Ps, off-topic, oops, pics!
I meant with respect to age. Hence, s13 is the older brother followed by the s14 then s15 being the youngest. hehe should have probably cleared that up.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Gear ratio is all wrong for sprints (national park)..ratio are way to long, and if i was on boost it would be way to fast and furious so i was limited to 3000-5000rpm shifts. Still doing consistent 100-120 speed around most corners surprisingly with aged skid tyres front and rears and it felt so planted.. nothing like the AE86.. felt so safe and could go a lot faster with proper tyres =p.

Though it would suit much better at a track, such as Wakefield or Sydney Motorsport park (Eastern Creek), where i could actually use the turbo lol.

overall a very nice daily which was the purpose when bought and has so much more potential with little money spent here and there.

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
Truth, I'd agree the s14 was grippier, felt heaps snappier too, s13 has longer wheel base?
S13 has the shorter wheel base, S14 longer. because of the shorter wheel base you could get the arse hanging out easier without it wanting to correct naturallly.
FYI S15 wheel base is slightly shorter but wider than both S13 and S14, same thing with the skylines.

richard, the gearing would mostly likely be down to the 3.9 ratio the diff has. a common swap is fit a skyline 4.1 ratio (or rear diff) whic would make a it a bit better.

sootie

Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle NSW
I can attest to R32's falling apart, mine seems to do it around me daily :lol: however even though rb20's are slow (with 15psi on an rb25 turbo I was keeping up with an audi rs4 all the way to 180 so I'm not sure they are that glacial) they sound a billion times better than the sr farting tractors.

Still I have always liked the s14's and looks like a nice one mate

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Cheers Adam, i'll need to sus out the ratio when i do a service on the diff anyways just to be sure what ratio i actually have, but wont be surprised if its the standard 3.9 hunk of shit lol.. and a very tight shimmed VLSD too, drives pretty much like a locker which is a pain in the public, everyone looks at me like my car is broken because it clunks and chirps like its the end of the world, but does mad skids for the kids

besides that its simple and nice

First plan

- oil cooler
- bigger radiator and thermo fans
- better brake pads
- proper 3inch exhaust
- new rims and tyres (buddy clubs are borrowed items)
- some OEM aero parts for looks
- change springs to 6kg front and 4kg rears

Later on
- replace FMIC with a newer one
- Z32 AFM
- Nistune
- other supporting mods for 200rwkw